I’ve been avoiding this particular question from the 30 Things challenge because even if I could I don’t think I’d go back and tell myself anything. I have a pretty good life happening and I believe that is due largely to the road I traveled to get here.
But, in keeping with the spirit of the challenge I’ll try it. Some things I’ve learned so far…
- A good life can be had anywhere if you surround yourself with good people.
- It’s okay to make mistakes. Don’t let fear of failure prevent you from pursuing new things.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. No one knows everything and it’s okay that you don’t already have all the answers.
- Don’t take things too personally. Other people’s actions are usually about their own lives and issues, not yours.
- Take more pictures. And be in front of the camera, not just behind it.
- You are not the center of the universe. But that doesn’t mean your wants and needs are not important.
- The body you have is good enough. You don’t have to be perfect to be beautiful.
- You don’t have to push others away to find yourself.
- We all get to define happiness and success for ourselves.
- Your worth is not determined by other people’s opinions.
Looking at that list makes me realize that my 16 year old self wouldn’t have been receptive to most of it anyway. She’d roll her eyes and think that I was just another old person who doesn’t “get it.” Much like Dorothy learning that she could send herself home, I simply wouldn’t have believed it before the journey.